Amec Foster Wheeler designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the global energy and related sectors. With pro-forma 2014 annualised scope revenues of £5.5 billion and over 40,000 people in more than 55 countries, the company operates across the whole of the oil and gas industry – from production through to refining, processing and distribution of derivative products – and in the mining, clean energy, power generation, pharma, environment and infrastructure markets.
In Europe, our multi-disciplinary Environment & Infrastructure business supports public and private sector clients throughout the business cycle: from policy, through strategy and consenting, into design, implementation and operational effectiveness.
This is an opportunity to be part of Amec Foster Wheeler’s Remediation and Ground Engineering team comprising contaminated land, remediation design and implementation and geotechnical design staff. Amec Foster Wheeler act as design consultants, principal designer and principal contractor. Our clients span multiple sectors and include companies like BP, National Grid, AIG, NuGen, EDF, Ford as well as contractors and developers.
This position can be based in any of our main UK offices: Reading, London, Knutsford, Shrewsbury, Leamington Spa, Bristol or Newcastle upon Tyne.
You will contribute to / be responsible for the delivery of the Principal Designer role across the Design and Construction lifecycle on a range of challenging projects across various sectors including Government, Energy, Commercial, Industrial and Water. Projects will be focused on ground investigation, remediation/earthworks and site clearance/demolition phases of site restoration projects.
You will have the ability to manage multiple projects, have an understanding of key hazards typical to construction and engineering projects in your relevant sectors and be able to work as an individual or as part of a wider team. You must be able to work with both internal and external project stakeholders to ensure Health and Safety issues are properly addressed and managed during the project lifecycle. The role requires an in depth understanding of design and construction processes and the ability to communicate effectively. You will have a clear understanding of the legal requirements of the CDM Regulations.
In particular the role will require you to:
- Make Clients aware of their duties
- Assess the competence of any designers appointed by Amec Foster Wheeler
- Collate Pre Construction Information and identify how any information gaps will be resolved in a timely manner to ensure sufficient consideration of health and safety issues
- Carry out H&S specific design reviews throughout the design and construction phases of a project
- Promote and manage clear communication between project duty holders with respect to coordination of outputs and management of health and safety issues at all project stages
- Prepare and issue the project specific Health and Safety File on completion
- Lead HSSE and CDM compliance in our Remediation and Ground Engineering business unit
- Provide proactive and collaborative CDM and HSSE advice to other parts of the E&I business
- You will be qualified to degree level (or equivalent) in a Construction related subject and be professionally qualified with an additional Health and Safety (eg NEBOSH Construction Certificate, Registered Membership of APS or ICE H&S Register) qualification
- High degree of understanding and knowledge on the application of the CDM Regulations
- You will have around 10 years post qualification experience in either design or construction management including experience of leading design teams
- Practical experience in managing construction works on site
- Good communication skills are required (written and verbal)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint is required
For further information on this post or to apply, please visit our website www.amecfw.com/careers. Job reference 2016 – 10635.